Concerned citizens have banded together with a plan to save an almost 140-year-old drover’s hut from potentially being destroyed in a bushfire and losing a piece of the region’s history.

Are you interested in becoming a Friend of the Hut?

PLEASE E-MAIL US AT ADMIN@BOLGHINUPHUT.COM.AU WE WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF ALL ONSITE VISITS AND PRESERVATION PROGRESS.

The Bolghinup Hut was built by the Giblett family in 1880 and is located in dense scrub and trees about 30km south-west of Pemberton near the Yeagarup Dunes.

About 30 Friends of the Hut members, as well as Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, Manjimup Shire Council and Manjimup Rotary Club representatives met at the Timber Park on Saturday to come up with a plan to save the historic structure.

A majority of the people voted to lobby to move the hut to the Timber Park — rather than retain its location and do land clearing.Rotary Club member Doug Moyle said

it was important to build up renewed interest in the hut to show the community cared about its future.

“A squeaky wheel gets the oil and so the more we make noise, the more it demonstrates to DBCA there are people who want it preserved,” he said.
“This hut should have been preserved for its historic value.”

Mr Moyle said while no costings had been done to move the hut, he believed it would be at least $100,000.

Hut relocation coordinator and former DBCA employee John Evans said while he wanted the hut to stay in its location, he was a realist.


“It is only a matter of time until it is burnt so it should be moved,”

“Embers from a fire close by will result in the hut being burnt because the timbers are tinder dry.

“Over the years so much of our heritage has been lost.”


At the meeting, Mr Evans also said the Heritage Commission’s normal policy is for heritage-listed structures to stay in situe.

People voted to write to the Manjimup Shire Council for official support to move the hut and letters also be written to the Heritage Commission and other relevant authorities to request support for the group’s work.


Manjimup shire president Paul Omodei encouraged the Friends of the Hut to seek support from the council for consideration in the upcoming budget deliberations.


One of the comments at the meeting was it was not just about moving a building, but about capturing the region’s history and culture.


The DBCA will also be asked to upgrade a road to the hut and volunteers be allowed to clear around the hut.

Heritage Listing

The State Heritage Council assessed the hut in July 1997 as a Category C listed building.

Retain and conserve if possible: endeavour to conserve the significance of the place through the provisions of the Shire of Manjimup Town Planning Scheme; a more detailed Heritage Assessment may be required prior to approval being given for any major redevelopment or demolition; photographically record the place prior to any major redevelopment or demolition.

State Heritage Office – Bolghinup Hut Record
Hut Feb ’19 – Clearing work completed by Friends of the Hut and DBCA

History

In 1908 brothers Jesse and George Giblett and their sister Emma Clarke applied for the pastoral lease No. 1923/23 (later known as Bolgannup) at Donnelly River mouth which was approved. The area of the lease was 7500 acres and the rent was ₤1.0.0 per 1000 acres per annum.

In 1929 the renewal of lease No. 1923/93 was applied for in just the names of Jesse and George Giblett but because the lease was registered in the names of Jesse and George Giblett and Emma Clarke the new lease was issued in those names.The term of this lease extends from 1/01/1929 till 31/12/1948.

(Lease No.1923/93 became Lease No. 4004/93)

A statutory declaration made by George Giblett about the lease in 1932 states – Number of large stock in possession – 170 head
Improvements on Lease

– Stockyards – 4 yards, 2 and 3 rail fence (timber carted 7 miles) – value ₤100 – Buildings – 1 Dwelling, 3 rooms Value ₤50

In 1934, a statutory declaration made by George Giblett about the lease states –
Number of large stock in possession – 200 head (remarks column – worked in conjunction with Lease no. 4005/93 Total stock on both leases 400.
Improvements on Lease
– Stockyards – three
– Buildings – Dwelling
– Other Improvements – Horseyards ₤150 total

Lease no. 4005/93 is leased by George Giblett and Wheatley Bros

In 1934, under the provisions of ‘The Land Act 1933’ any lessee holding a pastoral lease with a term expiring on 31st December, 1948 could apply to surrender such lease and for the grant in lieu of a new lease with a term to expire on 31st December, 1982. Final receipt of such applications was 5th March, 1935.

The lease of Pastoral lease 4004/93 was surrendered for a new lease of Crown Land (same run) in the names of Jesse and George Giblett and Emma Clarke and it was approved on 9th December, 1937. Rent per 100 acres was still ₤1.0.0 per acre. The new lease no. was 392/487

In July, 1953 a statutory declaration by Jesse Thomas Giblett (son of Jesse Giblett who died in 1925) stated –
No of large stock in possession – approx 70
Improvements thereon

– Fencing (miles and description) – approx 100 acres fenced with 3 plain wires valued at about ₤100

– Wells and windmills (number) 1 well valued at ₤20
– Dams – nil
– Tanks – nil
– Stockyards – 3 yards for large stock Post and rail, value ₤115 – Buildings 3 room slab hut, slab walls, ????? roof ₤90

Total value – ₤325

After George Giblett died in 1939 correspondence regarding lease was sent to his son Hubert Giblett. (Jesse Giblett and Emma Clarke d.1932 had already died) Lease still remained in their names.

In 1959 Edward and William Waugh of Glenoran, Manjimup wanted to take over the lease.They took over payment of the lease of 392/487 in 1959 through their solicitor Brett Asplin in Bridgetown, but lease remained in name of J and G Giblett and Emma Clarke.

In 1964 Waughs wanted to surrender lease and have a new lease issued to them/or transferred.

In March, 1965 the Waughs were advised it was not possible to surrender current lease and register a new lease to expire on 30th June, 2015 in their names without prior registration of a transfer to them. They were unable to register a transfer of the lease under the Transfer of Land Act as document would need to be signed by the person legally authorised under the terms of the estate of the deceased. ie executor etc. However only one of the executors of George Giblett was still living ( EJ Giblett), none of Emma Clarke or Jesse Giblett.

Pastoral Lease – Circa 1967. The red high-light indicates re-claimed area for Recreation and Camping

Inspection of the above lease in 1972 disclosed that the lease was not stocked in accordance with the conditions of the lease. It was forfeited to the crown for non- compliance with conditions on 2nd May, 1972. Edward Waugh wrote to the Under Secretary of Land pointing out that he had removed the cattle from the pastoral lease until the position on the lease was clear. Because of the condition of the land (erosion etc)it was decided that no further leasing of the area should be considered.

Location

The Hut is located in the D’Entrecasteau National Park. There is no camping or facilities at the hut.

The access track to the hut is not well-maintained or utilised at the moment.

There are two direct access tracks

It cannot be accessed via the popular tourist location Yeagarup Dunes.

Access via Boat Landing Rd (if seasonally open) or Charley Rd.

References

Manjimup Bridgetown Times – Meeting Article – 23rd January 2019

2012 – Management Plan No. 71 – Shannon and D’Entrecasteau National Parks

2008 – Analysis of Management Plan – Shannon and D’Entrecasteau National Parks

1997 – State Heritage Council – Bolghinup Slab Hut Record

Timeline

Hut History

2019
July 1

Heritage Council Assessment

Council Assessment Handed Down
February 16

Friends Onsite Visit

15+ Friends visit the Hut for Assessment
January 19

Friends of Hut

Meeting
2012
February 3

Management Plan

2008
August 23

2008 Proposed Park Plan

1997
July 4

Heritage Office Record

Recorded in July 1997, Category C
1985
January 1

Coastal Area Closed for Grazing

All coastal leases closed for cattle grazing in the region
1959
January 1

Lease Cost Paid

From 1959 Edward & William Waugh Paid Annual Lease
1950
January 1

Lease Used

Lease Used by Scotts and Waughs for cattle
1934
January 1

Lease Shared

Lease Shared by Gibletts and Wheatleys
1908
January 1

Pastoral Lease Commences

In 1908 brothers Jesse and George Giblett and their sister Emma Clarke applied for the pastoral lease
1880
January 23

Hut Erected

Originally Built